- Date : 07-04-2015
- No Comment
Sealing a driveway helps to protect it from the weather, road salt and other stains that commonly occur on surfaces underneath vehicles. Oil, dirt and grease are common stains on driveways. Sealing a driveway also protects it from wear and tear, which helps to reduce the costs associated with having to replace it every few years. Use these tips to reseal your driveway.
Clean and prepare the driveway for resealing.
- Treat stains in the driveway. Purchase stain removal products at your local home improvement store or auto parts stores. Follow the directions as you apply them to the stains.
- Scrub treated stains with a broom or scrub brush. Rub the cleaner into the stain and allow it to sit for an hour, unless otherwise directed by the cleanser instructions.
- Fill in cracks in the driveway with driveway patch. Driveway patch is available at most paint stores or home improvement retailers. Allow it to dry overnight.
- Pressure wash the entire driveway, paying special attention to stained areas. Clean off all cleaning products from stained areas. Follow directions provided by the pressure washer manufacturer, if necessary, for operating tips.
- Pour cleaning agent into the pressure washer if it is a model that provides a reservoir for soap and other cleaners. Wash the driveway again.
Let the pressure-washed driveway dry at least 48 hours. It’s important that your driveway be as dry as possible for the sealant to adhere properly.
Prepare the sealant. Pour it into a bucket. Stir it for 15 minutes to ensure it’s mixed well.
Treat concrete seams and edges of the pad. Dip a paintbrush into the sealant. Run the brush along the edges of seams and the sides of the concrete pad, coating the concrete with sealant.
Roll on the sealant. Pour the sealant into a paint tray. Moisten the roller and apply the sealant to the concrete driveway. Work from the middle of the concrete pad to the outer edges.
Let the driveway sealant cure and dry for at least 2 days. Refrain from driving or walking on your driveway during this time period.
Below is a picture of our crew cleaning a Driveway that is getting ready to be sealed.